Update on NAICS Revision & NM&SC/NTSA Proposal
In 2014, the NM&SC, NTSA and a coalition of supporting organizations submitted a proposal recommending new North American Industry Classification System (NAICS) industry codes for Modeling & Simulation, in two areas: Manufacturing (Products), and Professional, Scientific, and Technical Services.
In its 2017 response to the submission, the governing authority, the Economic Classification Policy Committee (ECPC), recommended no changes to the current classification of Modeling & Simulation within the NAICS.
This was not an entirely surprising result, given the nature and structure of NAICS and the ECPC’s previously stated objections to the creation of new industry codes for M&S. However, the ECPC did provide encouraging comments, listed here:
- “the ECPC acknowledges the support for the creation of a new industry,” and recognized that “the occupation is growing, and specialized training and education are clearly present.” The Committee also noted that “Professional standards have been developed and are being more widely applied.”
- The ECPC supports adding the phrase “Modeling and Simulation” as a part of the definition of NAICS Industry Group 5417, Scientific Research and Development Services, due to its growth in prominence in academia and in both the private and public sectors of the economy.
- The ECPC recommends that statistical programs consider adding inquiries for relevant industries to better quantify the production of modeling and simulation services across the range of producers.
- “With the development of the North American Product Classification System (NAPCS), a system that can account for more end use or demand-oriented concepts, additional evaluation could result in narrowly defined products, which may satisfy some aspects of this docket.”
The full text of the ECPC’s response can be found at:
On this page, applicable ECPC comments are provided in Document Number 17-0049 (Various – Modeling & Simulation).
The NM&SC and NTSA consider the NAICS issue to be an important area for ongoing action. A partial list of short and long-term goals is provided here:
- Develop a strategy with regards to the ECPC’s recommendation that “statistical programs consider adding inquiries for relevant industries to better quantify the production of modeling and simulation…”
- Research and monitor the development of the North American Product Classification System (NAPCS). Take appropriate actions to make sure that Modeling & Simulation products and services will be properly represented.
- Continue to build a matrix of organizations (with an interest in M&S) beyond the defense industry. Forge and strengthen relationships and build a stronger coalition. Broader consensus is needed not just on NAICS & NAPCS, but on a variety of issues requiring collective action.
- Recruit government/military representatives to participate in the NAICS & NACPS effort. The customer perspective has not previously been adequately captured or articulated.
The NM&SC Industrial Development/Business Practice Standing Committee has taken the lead on the NAICS & NAPCS issues, to prepare another submission to the ECPC. A sustained effort is underway to examine all aspects of the issue, and to build a clear and compelling case for inclusion of specific M&S industry codes within the NAICS.
An update on preparations of this next proposal will be provided at the NM&SC 2018 National Meeting, to be held 25-26 September, 2018 in Omaha, NE.
If you would like more information, or are interested in contributing to this effort, please contact Patrick Rowe at (703)247-9471 , or the Industrial Development/Business Practice Committee Chair.